Our funeral home is celebrating its 88th year of dedicated service to the community and to the Nation. It all started when Charles and Percy Hulse formed their partnership of Hulse Brothers in 1925. In 1933, Charlie Hulse invited Keith Playfair to join him as a partner. The two quite opposite personalities complimented one another and within a few years the firm's name changed from Hulse Brothers to Hulse & Playfair. In 1938-39, the new partnership made a bold move by building Ottawa's first funeral chapel. The firm grew rapidly to become Ottawa's largest funeral establishment, known as the Central Chapel (315 McLeod Street). Brian McGarry began his carer in 1962 and was invited to become a minority partner in 1973. Today the family business is owned and operated by Sharon McGarry and second cousin Patrick McGarry. Brian has retired from the firm.
Today, we believe that our greatest strength and most valuable asset is our team of dedicated and licensed funeral directors and support staff. Many of our staff are actively involved in local communities, professional associations and even local government. We are here to offer our services to alleviate the stress of our client families at a very difficult time of life.